In 1843, Victor Hugo, charmed by the then-small fishing village, had already evoked the risk that the place would become a spa and lose its essence. He described it this way: "A white town with red roofs and green shutters built on mounds of grass, in front of the untamed Atlantic Ocean." It was a premonition.
Biarritz, imperial indulgence, the queen of beaches and the beach of kings; Biarritz, a museum city, which perfectly combines the legacy of the past with contemporary influences. Rich in culture, marked forever by the passage of Napoleon III and the Granadian empress Eugénie de Montijo, who fell in love with this place on holiday with her mother and sister when she was only 9 years old. In 1953, she married Napoleon III and established Biarritz as a holiday resort, where they built the splendid residence Villa Eugénie - now converted into the Hotel du Palais. Eugénie de Montijo made Biarritz a meeting point for the international elite, attracting everyone from royalty, aristocrats, and politicians to renowned artists and writers.
Biarritz is also a cradle of surfing in France: in 1956 the first surfers of the Basque Coast appeared, specifically during shooting of the film "Fiesta", an adaptation of the famous Hemingway novel, with Californian actors Dick Zanuck and Peter Viertel. They introduced surfing in Biarritz, bringing a surfboard from California, something never seen by the French at that time. From that moment on, surfing has never ceased to grow, making Biarritz a worldwide benchmark in this area.
A cosmopolitan and elegant city, from January to December the city lives to the rhythm of festivals, ballets, cultural and sporting events. It’s quiet in winter and very lively in summertime. Linked to the world of surfing and highly appreciated for its excellent quality of life, it receives numerous visitors from five continents.
"In the lighthouse of Biarritz you can see the biggest waves in the world," said Henry Russell, a pioneer in exploring the Pyrenees.
Located a 20-minute walk from the center of Biarritz, it’s worth climbing to the top of this 19th century lighthouse to enjoy the panoramic views of Biarritz and the wonderful Basque coast, to relax in the surrounding park and enjoy picturesque walks along the coast.
Work of the engineer Philippe Vionnois, the whitewashed lighthouse stands 73 meters above sea level and dates from 1834. The date 1831 appears on the lower part, the year in which its construction began; above, we see the date 1832, when work was completed. It was opened in 1834. It stands on Cape Hainsart, the dividing point between the sandy coast of Les Landes and the rocky Basque coast of France.
The spiral staircase has 248 stairs. From the highest you can enjoy spectaculars views. Facing northward, the golden coast of Les Landes, and southward, the beaches of the Basque coast. You can watch surfers in the choppy waves and admire le Rocher de la Vierge (the Rock of the Virgin). If it’s sunny, check out the craggy distant peaks of the Pyrenees.
The lighthouse is surrounded by a park with rows of trees. Sit on a wooden bench and contemplate the blue waters of the gulf of Biscay. You’ll find coin-operated binoculars to enjoy a close-up view of the Grande Plage and the Rocher de la Vierge
We recommend visiting in the evening to watch the spectacular sunsets.
HÔTEL DU PALAIS
In 1855, Napoleon III ordered a holiday residence built in Biarritz for his wife Eugénie de Montijo: Villa Eugénie. This residence, of Second Empire style, occupied the site of the current Hôtel du Palais. For a decade this place saw the international Gotha: Queen Elizabeth of Spain, King of Württemberg, Leopold II of Belgium, Prince Jérôme Bonaparte, Prince Albrecht of Bavaria, Prince Walewski, Princes of Metternich, Chancellor Bismarck, the writers Prosper Mérimée and Octave Feuillet. Dances, fireworks, and country getaways were the main activities, in addition to diplomatic meetings.
After the death of her husband in 1873, the villa remained property of the empress. In 1881, the empress sold the villa to the Banque de l'Union Parisienne, which transformed the residence into a hotel-casino, the "Palais-Biarritz", and later, in 1893, into a hotel.
On February 1, 1903, a terrible fire devastated the building. The emblematic building of Biarritz was then rebuilt and expanded under the direction of two architects, Dourgnon and Niermans, preserving the neo-Louis XIII style and the floorplan in the shape of an "E", which corresponds to the name of the Empress Eugénie. Inside, the wall paintings are the work of Paul Gervais.
Since 1905, the date of its reconstruction, the Hôtel du Palais has never ceased to receive an international clientele, personalities from the political, economic and artistic world. In 1922 it hosted the "Second Empire Dance ", presided over by Alfonso XIII and the Shah of Persia, which revived the magnificence of the past. Biarritz’s reputation and mild climate continued to draw people from the European elite: the Prince of Wales, Queen Victoria, the King of Sweden...
The hotel has stunning views over the sea, spacious rooms, two restaurants, a luxurious spa, an outdoor pool and a small golf course. Today, this establishment is one of the few palaces in France (8), and the only one on the French Atlantic Coast. This is a prestigious distinction granted by the Minister of Tourism.
ORTHODOX CHURCH OF SAINT ALEXANDER NEVSKY
The Orthodox Church of St. Alexander Nevsky is located just behind the Hotel du Palais, another of the emblematic places of this city. It is the third Orthodox church in France after the ones in Nice (1860) and Paris (1861).
This church is outfitted with a large dome. It was built in 1892 under the leadership of the Russian community of Biarritz and the empire of Tsar Alexander III.
The connection between Biarritz and Russia goes back to the time of Empress Eugénie de Montijo, wife of Napoleon III, who invited the Russian nobility to spend summers there. Such was the influence of wealthy visitors of that nationality, who helped Biarritz become what it is today.
It is not surprising that the Russian community wished to have a place of worship in Biarritz, the chosen place to spend the months of September to November. In 1870, after the collapse of Napoleon III, the new republican anticlerical government opposed the request to build a church.
This is why provisionally, in 1887, there was a chapel in the former imperial palace, Villa Eugenia, which, after being sold, became first a hotel-casino and then the Hotel du Palais. Soon the chapel became too small and the necessary measures were taken for the construction of the current church, with the necessary authorization of Tsar Alexander III.
This place of worship has seen the likes of Maria Feodorovna, mother of Nicholas II, who often came to the church, as well as King Alexander of Serbia, who was received with bread and salt according to the Russian tradition. A funeral service was also held for the murdered Austrian empress, Sissi, in which all the attending ladies dressed in white. Great ceremonies were held here, with characters of the Russian aristocracy featuring prominently.
It is built in the Byzantine style, with its three parts in the shape of a cross and crowned by its impressive dome painted blue. The religious icons were brought from St. Petersburg and highlight Saint Alexander Nevsky, patron of the church, and St. Nicholas. Today this place of worship is still used and the main religious festivities of the Orthodox Church are celebrated here.
The imperial chapel, an authentic relic of the imperial era, was built in 1864 by the architect Emile Boeswillwald at the request of Eugénie de Montijo, wife of Napoleon III, who longed to have a place of worship near her residence.
It is located not far from the current Hotel du Palais, formerly Villa Eugénie. It is somewhat hidden in a small "secret garden,” and is little known, even for Biarritz residents themselves, despite being recognized as a historic landmark in 1981.
It has a lot of charm, notable for its architecture that blends the Byzantine-Roman style and the Hispano-Moresque style. It is dedicated to the black Mexican virgin Our Lady of Guadalupe, as a reminder of the second French military intervention in Mexico, led by Napoleon III. In it we can go back in time and discover the Biarritz of the Second Empire.
If you look at its brick façade you can still see bullet marks, a reminder of the last war. The writer Prosper Mérimée, political adviser to Napoleon III and confidant of the Empress Eugénie de Montijo, supervised the interior decoration. It consists of a single nave, preceded by a small porch, terminated by a semi-circular apse. The interior stands out for its mix of different styles and materials: the very original floor, with its magnificent floral paintings. Also featured are hand-painted tiles on the lower part of the walls, and floral decorations. A beautifully decorated coffered ceiling, in red, blue, white and gold colors, and original enamelled medallions. The painting of the Virgin of Guadalupe, by Steinheil, in the vault completes this exotic decoration.
Visits are only available on weekends. There are 4 per year (“Se celebran 4 mesas al año”) (mirar traducción)
January 9, anniversary of the death of Napoleon III
June 1, anniversary of the death of the imperial prince
July 11, anniversary of the death of the Empress Eugénie de Montijo
December 12, Our Lady of Guadalupe
The municipal Casino is located halfway between the Hôtel du Palais and the St. Eugénie Church, just in front of the Grande Plage, which because of its location, attracts as many tourists as it does surfers, both experienced and novice.
At the end of the 19th century, given the fame of the Bellevue casino, located on Place Bellevue, the municipality decided to create its own municipal casino.
In 1893 the municipality selected the best project, and the place chosen for its construction was the space occupied by the Napoleon Baths, a Moorish-style building designed by the architect Bertrand. It opened in 1901, after successive financial obstacles: the bathing society went bankrupt and a new licensee had to be found (it was the municipal casino of Aix-les-Bains).
During the interwar period, with the death of the owner of the two casinos in the city, the municipality had the opportunity to rebuild the municipal casino in the Twenties style. The project manager was Alfred Laulhe, also in charge of the remodeling of the Bellevue Casino. The new Art Deco building was equipped with a theater, a swimming pool, game rooms, reception rooms and an outdoor gallery.
The crisis of the 1930s, the transformation of the casino into a prison in 1941 and the installation of the American University of Biarritz at the end of the war, ended the casino's own gambling activities. It closed its doors definitively in 1983 and soon the question of its conservation arose.
In 1992 the building was classified as a historic landmark, which opened up new perspectives. Various renovations were started and the casino was again opened to the public in 1994.
Today the casino is managed by the Lucien Barrière group, and has become one of the most emblematic places in the city.
SAINTE EUGÉNIE CHURCH
Located on the hill that overlooks the Port Vieux, the chapel Our Lady of Piety, of Roman-Byzantine style, opened in 1856, occupying the location of the present church Sainte Eugénie. Due to its small size and age, the chapel was replaced by the church we know today. Its name refers to Eugénie de Montijo, wife of Napoleón III.
For more than 30 years this chapel served the needs of worshippers, and the imperial family attended Sunday mass until 1864 when the Imperial Chapel was built, closer to their residence.
In 1884 the abbot Gaston Larre decided to demolish the chapel to build a new church, of greater proportions. Neo-Gothic in style, it was built between 1898 and 1903 and is the work of the architect Lacombe. It measures 44 meters long by 23 meters wide. The plane converges towards the altar and the tabernacle. A procession of saints adorn the walls leading to the altar. They emphasize the fleurs de lis, omnipresent ornamental motif, a Marian symbol related to the consecration of the church to the Virgin Mary and to Saint Eugénie. Another highlight is the ex-voto, a model sailing boat, "La Mathilde" hanging from the central nave.
The organ is found just above the main entryway. After having been the pride of the church for years, it won the first Prize of Honor, the highest granted, in the Exposition Universelle of Paris in 1900.
On the outside, the tympanum of the main door represents the different protecting saints of the city. In the center, Our Lady of Succor (in commemoration of the old fisherman's chapel), with the baby Jesus on her knees; to its right, Saint Martin, patron of Biarritz, the archangel Saint Gabriel and to its left, Saint Eugénie with her martyr’s sword and the archangel Saint Michael.
Upon entering, on the right you’ll find the statue of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, the stoups (vessels containing Holy Water), and large shells from Manila. The construction of the bell tower began in 1927 and the bells were placed in 1931. The exceptional stained glass windows are the work of Luc-Olivier Merson.
In the crypt, whose pillars are embedded in the rock to a depth of 10 to 17 meters, is the tomb of Father Gaston Larre, the first priest of the parish in 1884, who decided to modify the small chapel of origin. Nowadays this space is used as an art exhibition hall.
First of all we should clarify that what we now know as Port Vieux beach was formerly the port of Biarritz, which due to its narrowness and inconvenience, was moved to the current Port des Pêcheurs at the end of the 18th century (1780), under the Place Sainte Eugénie. (para confirmar, este párrafo es igual que el primer párrafo del texto de Port Vieux - ?)
With the financial help of Napoleon III, the new fishing port, at the foot of the esplanade of the Atalaye, begins to expand. In 1858, a 30 meter-long dam was built, which was destroyed by strong waves. In 1865 the new port was opened, at the same time as the Rocher de la Vierge. In 1881 a supplementary dam (Gamaritz, called the Cafetière, which once housed a tide gauge, disappeared in 1990 on a stormy night), with a port access channel. The project to expand the port of the emperor never saw the light, after repeated damage by waves and the end the fishing era. At the beginning of the 20th century there were about 300 fishermen, and in the 1950s there were only about thirty.
Today in the port there are some leisure craft and small amateur fishing vessels. Restoration and tourism play an important role here. There are about 50 fishermen's huts, originally built to store fishing gear. In contrast to the sumptuous villas of Biarritz, these picturesque little white huts, with wooden doors and colorful shutters, called "crampottes" belong to the Municipality of Biarritz. They are only rented to the residents of the city who own a pier, a privilege for which one must wait ten years.
It´s also a beloved place for the people of Biarritz, far from the bustle of the city center and very charming. For many it is also a place of happy moments and memories.
It’s lovely to stroll by the dam of this picturesque port, breathing the sea breeze and listening to the sound of the sea.
In 1883, the Marquis of Folin, captain of the Port of Bayonne, declared the need to create a laboratory of marine zoology on the Basque coast. From this idea came the Aquarium of Biarritz, one of the first French establishments where they spoke of oceanography to a public enthusiastic about the fascinating world of the oceans. The project could not be realized until the end of the First World War: in 1923 the municipality gave the project the green light.
André Giret, then administrator of Marine (Navy?) Recruitment of Bayonne, proposed putting it in the building of the municipal warehouses, near the Rock of the Virgin, above the cliffs of the Atalaye. In 1930, the city council agreed and called for the architectural competition. It was won by the architects Hiriart, Lafaye and Lacoureyre.
The Art Deco building that houses the Aquarium of Biarritz opened its doors to the public on August 10, 1933. The Aquarium is a modern building in its architecture, decoration and refurbishment. It was officially opened two years later, on July 7, 1935.
Since its creation, the Aquarium of Biarritz has been oriented mainly toward that which relates to the Bay of Biscay. Its primary objective is to show the ocean in all its forms: the seabed, the role of the sea in the formation of continents, aquatic populations, as well as the exploration and exploitation of these spaces.
In 1992, a major renovation allowed the Aquarium of Biarritz to be equipped with modern aquarium and museographic equipment, while preserving its interior and exterior architectural originality. In 2008, the Biarritz City Council launched the Biarritz Océan project, which included the expansion of the Aquarium and the construction of the Cité du Océan. In 2011, the expansion of the Aquarium of Biarritz opened its doors and offered visitors a deeper journey: traversing the Gulf Stream, the Caribbean, the Indo-Pacific...a remodeled museography, twice as large (from 3500 m2 to 7000 m2), additional aquariums, one of the largest tanks in France (1500 m3), a Caribbean lagoon, a touch-tank...
ROCK OF THE (BLESSED) VIRGIN
The Rocher de la Vierge, or Rock of the (Blessed) Virgin, is one of the emblematic monuments of Biarritz, a curiosity of nature in the form of a ship’s hull, a great rock dominated by the statue of the Virgin Mary. It is one of the best vantage points from which to see the bay of Biarritz, the Basque coast and the Pyrenees in the distance.
Napoleon III ordered the rock remodelled and created a port-refuge and security dam. In 1865, in order to join the rock (known as le Curculon) to the continent, a 76-meter wooden footbridge was constructed; two years later, a series of crosses and the Virgin (from the Ducel et Fils workshops in Bordeaux) were placed, which was blessed by the parish priest of Biarritz on June 11 of the same year. After successive storms, and in particular one in 1876, when the promenade disappeared in the strong swell, it had to be rebuilt in 1886, this time in metal, and designed NOT by Gustave Eiffel, but by the workshops Société Schryver and Cie d'Hautmont. It was Queen Victoria who premiered the promenade by horse-drawn carriage. It became her preferred outing.
In 1904, rust weakened the structure and made it dangerous. For this reason, the municipal council commissioned a more ambitious project that never came to light in the absence of funds. The footbridge was reconstructed identically.
In 1938 the Société Pinçon took charge of its total demolition: the new bridge was endowed with a panel and a reinforced concrete railing. After 50 years, the bridge once again showed signs of defects: in 1988, the company Socotec replaced several pieces. The current promenade dates back to 1990 and is the work of Baudin and Châteauneuf.
It is said that since 1865, the Virgin has commemorated the miraculous return to land of some Biarritz whalers caught in a tremendous storm.
Although they were near the coast, they couldn’t reach the Port Vieux of Biarritz, and they saw death arriving...in the midst of their desperation, a blinding light surprised them; they followed and most of them managed to reach the mainland.
These days, a walk here is a ritual for local people of Biarritz, and a must-see for tourists.
First of all we should clarify that what we now know as Port Vieux beach was formerly the port of Biarritz, which, due to its narrowness and inconvenience, was moved to the current Port des Pêcheurs at the end of the 18th century (1780), under the Place Sainte Eugénie.
There is a before and after for Port Vieux, marked by the imperial era and the arrival of Napoleon III and Eugénie de Montijo to Biarritz, who chose to vacation in the city for its temperate climate and exhilarating sea baths.
In 1152, royal and ecclesiastical alliances protected the port. In 1342, Ferragus castle, made up of stone walls with four towers and a drawbridge, located at the current site of the Museum of the Sea, was the point from which the port was guarded. From here the port was protected from the threat of corsairs from Algeria and Tunisia, who were ravaging the Gasconian coast, taking their inhabitants to sell them as slaves.
In its beginnings activities related to fishing were developed, mainly, whaling. Day and night, from the Atalaye, the horizon was scanned in search of jets of water from the whales. At that time, there was no port facility: the boats were moored on the sand and the whales came up onto the shore at high tide; at low tide, they were stripped and prepared. This activity ceased altogether in 1690.
After the end of this activity, which had been an important source of income, they decided to enlist sailors seeking adventure and entrepreneurship as corsairs.
According to legend, the spirit and blood of the whales, along with the courage and madness of the corsairs remains in the waters and the inhabitants of the port, as well as the "sorginas", or witches. It is said that they were transformed into waves, chasing the sailors, spewing them with their diabolical preparations, and causing storms.
Later, in 1784, the sea baths in Biarritz became fashionable. At the same time, booths or cabins were installed so that foreign vacationers could change with discretion. Great ladies in long blouses, woolen trousers, and straw hats mixed with bankers and shipowners in the little cove of Port Vieux. Bathing facilities were destroyed in 1944 during the war. They were rebuilt in 1952 thanks to the collaboration of local architects.
Villa Belza, located on La Cote des Basques, on a rock ledge that is visible to the south from the whole coast, is the most powerful image of the city.
The story of Villa Belza began in 1825, when a farmer named Dominique Daguerre, through an exchange with the municipality, took possession of a field above some rocks in the foothills of the Atalaye. This was worthless land, except to the inhabitants of Biarritz, who came to fish from the rocks or to take walks. The land, known as the "field of the nightingales," passed through owners until it was acquired by Ange du Fresnay, manager of the Phoenix insurance company in Paris, in 1882.
The construction of the villa began in 1889, led by the architect Alphonse Bertrand, and was completed in 1895. The house was a gift from du Fresnay to his wife, Belza. Its location, at that time a bit removed from the core of the city and seeming to enter the sea, along with its Transylvanian look and slate roofs reminiscent of the dungeon of a medieval castle, gave the villa a certain mystery. This, along with the name, Belza ("beltza" means "black” in Euskera) inspired many legends involving the air of mystery associated with witchcraft and ghost stories.
In 1923, du Fresnay rented the house to Gregory Beliankine, brother-in-law of Igor Stravinsky, who opened a Russian restaurant in the villa, although the name he chose didn’t seem like it: "the Basque Castle." Its main customers were the members of the Russian royalty and bourgeoisie who spent their summer holidays in Biarritz, but also other members of the European royalty. On summer nights, luxurious dinners were held, always organized around a particular theme: there were Japanese festivals, parties dedicated to the gods Neptune and Bacchus; on the so-called “African” nights, the garden of the house was turned into a “jungle”, featuring even gorillas.
In 1927 a total renovation of the building was undertaken, transforming it into a cabaret set in the 17th century, with walls covered in red curtains, Louis XIII furniture and a “musketeers” theme. Despite the change in name introduced by Beliankine, who sought to distance himself from the “mystery” that accompanied the house, the legends were stronger in the town, and the place continued to be known as Villa Belza.
The intense social life in the house continued until 1940, at which point the building was requisitioned. A new change of owners after the war led to restoration of its interior and to the division of the villa into seven apartments. The relationship between the new owners was always marked by fights, accusations and lawsuits. This led to continuous deterioration of the house, which between 1950 and 1974 suffered two fires. Fortunately in the early nineties, a new Parisian landlord hurried to the aid of the building and prevented it from suffering definitive deterioration. Since 1997 the villa has been classified as a historic landmark by the municipality.
Thanks to its visual strength, the building has been featured in numerous films, fashion catalogs, and advertisements...and today remains one of the best possible backdrops as far as surf photography is concerned.
BEACHES: CÔTE DES BASQUES
MARBELLA • MILADY
COTE DES BASQUES
Of the Biarritz beaches Eugénie de Montijo said: “The sea is very cold, and it takes a lot of strength to decide to go in. Nevertheless, I haven’t missed a single swim since I’ve been here.”
Considered the birthplace of European surfing in the 1950s, la Côte des Basques is a picturesque bay of golden sand with fabulous scenery of steep cliffs and spectacular views over the Bay of Biscay and its mountains, not to mention the Coastal cafes.
It is located about 15 minutes on foot from the city center. The seafront promenade encircles the northern peninsula of the beach and leads to Port Vieux and Rocher de la Vierge through La Villa Belza, which rises from a rocky promontory.
We can’t talk about la Côte des Basques without pausing briefly to mention the history of surfing:
In 1956, actor and surfer Dick Zanuck, screenwriter Peter Viertel and his wife Deborah Kerr were in Biarritz to shoot the film "Fiesta," based on the famous novel by Hemingway. Dick asked to be sent a surfboard by plane from California. One day when Peter was surfing with Dick's board in Côte des Basques, the front was broken. Georges Hennebutte, pioneer in the use of laminates proposed to repair the board. These were the beginnings of surfing in Biarritz. A couple of years later, the first plastic “made in France” surfboards began to be manufactured.
In 1959 the first surf club in France was born: the Waïkiki Surf Club, created by the main characters of the moment, such as Peter Viertel, Jacques Rott, Georges Hennebutte, ans Joël de Rosnay, among others. The boards were perfected and polyurethane foam came into use. The "leash" which ties the surfer's ankle to the board was also invented. The first national and international competitions appeared, and later, in the decade of the sixties, surfing was democratized, surf schools were created and the first surf shops appeared. Undoubtedly from the 80's and up through today, surfing is part of the identity and local culture and for many, it becomes a way of life.
In Côte des Basques, when the tide is low, there is plenty of space to walk, play beach games and sit and watch the waves crash against the shore. However, it should be noted that at high tide the waves reach the beach wall and completely cover the sand, making it impossible and in fact, prohibited, to swim.
Surfers can be seen trying out the waves all year round. The Côte des Basques is also a popular surfing spot for beginners. There are several surf schools at the beach that offer group and individual classes with qualified instructors. In summer, it is a very lively place, between the surf festival and live music shows.
We suggest a visit during the evening, enjoying a drink or snack in one of the bars on the boulevard.
There are lifeguards guarding the beach between the months of June and September. One can access the beach from the cliff by way of a spiral staircase. A free shuttle bus connects the beach with Port Vieux and the city center.
MARBELLA AND MILADY BEACHES
From here you can visit the Marbella and Milady beaches, which are a continuation of the Côte des Basques. They are steep and picturesque beaches, in which you can escape the crowds of Biarritz in the summer. It’s worth it to get there and relax, enjoying exceptional scenery and incredible surfing opportunities. When the tide is low, you can walk between Marbella beach and the Côte des Basques. Milady Beach is nearby, separated from Marbella Beach by a breakwater. This large beach has a coastal garden, a play area for children and plenty of free parking. There are lifeguards guarding the beach from June to August.
LES HALLES FOOD MARKET AND SOURROUNDINGS
It is worth visiting the picturesque market of Biarritz and its adjacent streets, full of life, especially in summer.
It was in 1847 when the municipality decided to create a market space to house butchers, delicatessens, and poultry houses, which until then were located in the current Place Bellevue, formerly called “Place de la Foire.”
The Jaulerry municipality accepted the plans of the architect of Ozanne, of Mont de Marsan. Napoleon III participated economically in the project and on April 19, 1885 the building opened. The landlords, Arbonne, Ahetze Bassussarry and Bidart came here with milk, vegetables, and birds, which they loaded on their donkeys. Later, wheelbarrows (charettes) with horses were used.
Later, in 1921, the municipality expanded the market adding the adjacent building, dedicated to the sale of fish and seafood. In 1949 the side windows were replaced by glass tiles and concrete supports (béton croisillons).
The last remodeling dates from 2013, a project carried out by the architect Laforgue, which includes an aerial walkway linking both buildings and access for the disabled.
As a result of this last remodeling, the neighboring roads were pedestrianized, thus creating a friendly meeting space for the people of Biarritz, with its bars and restaurants.
A small curiosity: during the construction of the market in 1884, a block of ore (?) was found, which was transported by oxen to the footbridge of the Rocher de la Vierge. We can still see it today, on the right, at the beginning of the promenade.
Market stalls have a great gastronomic appeal: from local products to Italian, Moroccan and Japanese specialties...an authentic sensory and visual space full of life, which is undoubtedly worth a visit.
From here we can approach the Musee Historique de Biarritz (Biarritz Historical Museum), located on Broquedis Street, side-street to the market. It´s worthwhile to enter Saint Andrew’s Anglican church and discover an unprecedented collection of 4,000 pieces, from objects to works of art, looking through many curious objects from different periods of the city. The museum is closed on Mondays, Sundays and public holidays.